f Great Falls had no history it would still be a splendid place to liveall 29 square miles of it! But, in fact it does have a history, and it is learning about it that makes our community fascinating indeed. The Great Falls Historical Society was organized in 1977 to promote community spirit by bringing the past into the present. We do this through:
Click Here to Join or
- Monthly programs
- on local history and people
- by local people who shaped history elsewhere
- Preservation efforts
- Speakers' bureaus and slide presentations for interested groups
- Programs, contests, and awards for students
- Publication of historical essays
- Collection of artifacts and photographs
- Oral history interviews
- Genealogical research
- Tours and dinners at historic sites
Our monthly programs are presented by people who know local history, know about events that shaped our history, or who themselves made history. Our monthly publication, Chronicler, keeps you abreast of Society activities and other items of historical interest in the community. In addition, we have several particularly enjoyable programs each year that pull together our members in fellowship. These include potluck dinners and the annual banquet; refreshments are served after each monthly program. Additionally, members share the satisfaction of supporting
Click Here to Join or
- Our educational lecture series
- Activities for the preservation of historic structures in Great Falls
- Activities for the preservation of historic pictures and stories of Great Falls
- The gathering and transcription of oral histories from our earlier residents
Membership is open to everyone with an interest in Great Falls--past, present, and future. Newcomers will find the Society a great way to become a part of the Great Falls Community. We encourage not just your dues, but your active participation as well. We have a great group of people and we believe you will enjoy your association with them.
Our organization's Constitution and By-laws dictate that annual dues are payable on or before the date of the first general meeting of the year in January and that members in arrears over three months shall be dropped from membership. To join or renew your membership, CLICK HERE for a membership coupon.
Print and fill in the membership coupon and send it with your check to: Great Falls Historical Society, P.O. Box 56, Great Falls, VA 22066.